Friday, July 27, 2012

Is volunteering a staycation?

On July 25th and 26th Lunenburg hosted eight of the tall ships that are visiting Nova Scotia. When I heard they were looking for volunteers to help during the two day visit I thought it would be a great idea if my husband and I volunteered...in fact I volunteered us both. What a great experience. We only worked for half of the day until 1:00 pm. The skies were blue and the crowds were wonderful. People from all over North America and a few from Europe were there enjoying the moment. And Lunenburg rolled out the welcome mat as they do so very well. The town is a tourist destination and it boasts a very high reputation for ship building for the past 250 years. Put all of that together with the crews from the eight ships visiting the area for the first time and you have everything needed for a very successful festival.

I'm not sure if others would call this a staycation, but I certainly do. I had fun, I learned a lot, I enjoyed meeting new people and I got to share a little bit of the South Shore with others. What more could you ask for? My husband had a similar experience. He was working with the security folks for most of day one and he was assisting at one of the gates on day two. He got to meet new people and learn about their reasons for visiting and their expectation...he also helped to make those expectations reality.

Below are a few pictures that will give you a small hint of the atmosphere. Enjoy. If you are in Nova Scotia and have not yet seen any of the tall ships, they are in Shelburne on the 28th and 29th. There are also tall ships in Pugwash and Pictou on July 28th and 29th.

Two of the visiting tall ships

Welcome to the visitors

A visitor to the wharf and the tall ships


Another visitor

More of the Tall Ships tied at the wharf

Good will ambassador to answer questions and help the visitors.

No comments:

Post a Comment