Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Guest Speaker for Arthritis Society

For the past three years I have been a guest speaker for the Arthritis Society, Nova Scotia branch.  This is volunteer and not overly demanding.  I am provided with a talk outline, brochures and information and my part is to show up and make the presentation. This have been very rewarding.  I have had the opportunity to meet several people and to hear their stories and in a few cases I hope I have been able to offer information and suggestions that has lead to a less painful life. 

In the next few weeks I will be taking part in two Senior's Academies organized by the Liverpool detachment of the RCMP.  Linda W does a great job of finding locations and participants.  The Academy is usually held over a six week period with a couple of hours a week, and I am invited to speak for an hour or so on Arthritis.  Linda has worked her magic and has two more sessions organized one in April and another in May/June.  The expectation is that there will be three or four dozen people at the two sessions. Great initiative for the community.

I am looking forward to dusting off the old binder of material, getting my handouts organized and meeting some great folks. 

Volunteering truly does reward the volunteer.

No comments:

Post a Comment