Thursday, July 30, 2009

A Day at the Beach

Yesterday was hot and sunny and a beautiful day for a trip to the beach. We are fortunate because we live within a 45 minute drive to several beautiful beaches on the Atlantic Ocean. At this time of year the air temperature is usually several degrees warmer than the water temperature. The beach we chose was Summerville Beach, which is a provincial park with changing rooms. The beach was crowded...if you call 100 or so people a crowd. The beach is at least 1/2 mile long so 100 people are dots on the sand. Nothing like beaches in some of the other provinces.

It has been a while since I waded in salt water and felt the breath being sucked from my body as the cold water splashed over me. Wow! It was fun. I had forgotten just how much fun.

Our constant companion, our dog, wasn't sure if cold salt water was something he enjoyed but he did manage to get wet and covered in sand and seemed to be having fun.

As an added bonus, on the way home, we stopped at a beach on an inland lake and washed off the salt and sand. I went swimming there as well. This beach is within 10 minutes of where we live and I am quite certain that I will be returning there many times before the summer is over.

Although we live in lake country, the beach closest to us is full of eel grass and I am always hesitant to swim anywhere that has eel grass...you know what lives in places like that. This little beach we found is clear with a sandy bottom. You can see the bottom of the lake as you wade out from shore. The water was refreshing without being frigid. Heaven. And the best part is that I got exercise while keeping cool on a 33 degree day.

No comments:

Post a Comment